Saab has received an order for the AT4 anti-tank weapon from the NATO Support and Procurement Agency (NSPA). The order value is approximately EUR 63 million (approximately SEK 700 million) and deliveries will take place 2026-2027. The order was booked in Q4 2023. The AT4 is a Swedish 84 mm unguided, man-portable, disposable, shoulder-fired recoilless anti-tank weapon manufactured by Saab Bofors Dynamics. The AT4 is not a rocket launcher strictly speaking, because the explosive warhead is not propelled by a rocket motor. Rather, it is a smooth-bore recoilless gun (as opposed to a recoilless rifle, which has a rifled barrel).
Saab has had considerable sales success with the AT4, making it one of the most common light anti-tank weapons in the world. The AT4 family is readily deployed by over 15 countries worldwide. The M136 AT4 is a variant used by the United States Army. The AT4 is intended to give infantry units a means to destroy or disable armoured fighting vehicles and fortifications, although it is generally ineffective against more modern main battle tanks (MBTs), especially those with reactive armour, unless weaker sections of armour are exploited. The launcher and projectile are manufactured prepacked and issued as one unit of ammunition, with the launcher discarded after one use.
“Our AT4 stands out on the market as a highly sought-after and effective support weapon. We are honoured that the NSPA has trusted our products once again, and they can feel confident that they have a leading single-shot weapon that is robust and reliable,” says Görgen Johansson, head of Saab’s business area Dynamics.
There are several different projectiles for the AT4.
- AT4CS HP is an anti-armour weapon with confined-space capability.
- AT4CS RS anti-armour weapon is easy to operate and has a unique bi-metal warhead design, specially developed to maximise behind-armour effect.
- AT4CS ER is an anti-armour weapon designed to provide extended range and maximum penetration with confined-space capability.
- AT4CS AST has confined-space capability as well as an integrated red dot sight and additional bracket system.
- AT4CS HE provides the single soldier with overmatching firepower to defeat enemy troops at range.